9.18.2006

A walk to forget

Today I was walking north up 8th street in Soma, checking out the shops and watching my back. I was being extra attentive because at one point this shitty Astro van with tinted windows drove right in front of me on their way to a gas station and they were blasting some rap song with the lyrics "I drink, I smoke... don't get it twisted pimpin' this a hood dance." They were screaming the lyrics and staring at me as they rolled deep into the absolute pimpinest place in town: the Shell gas station on 8th and Harrison. (side note: what's up with that attitude anyway?)

NEXT: I turn left on 8th and am looking for the 19 bus but can't find a stop. During my search I came across one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. Two men sitting in a bright blue Honda Matrix and a third was leaning on driver's side door. At first glance it was an innocent enough affair, maybe a riveting conversation about global politics or something. At second glance, I realize with horror that the driver has his hand wrapped around the third guy's ass and is performing an enthusastic fellatio on this man. As I walk by, I distinctly hear 'yeah, that's how I like it." ... I didn't need a third glance.

Less than a mile later, now north of Market in the tenderloin, something entirely random and unexpected happens. Walking up a hill on Hyde I'm looking around and taking in the scene of liquor stores and XXX shops when all of the sudden about 30 feet in front of me a man falls off a two story ladder and lands on the sidewalk feet first. The metal ladder actually folded on him, causing the fall. He stood right up but was visibly shaken, other people were closer and were able to rush to his aid before I was able to. Craziness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home