9.19.2006

Salute to Gretchen

I am in Santa Cruz today, hoping to go surfing later if the waves get a bit bigger. I just got back from a stroll on the beach, checking out the surf. While down there I saw a large pelican sitting majestically amongst a flock of seagulls like a god amongst mere men. I was drawn in by his regal stature so I walked closer. As I rounded in front of him, I noticed a severely broken wing draped by his left side. A tragic twist of perception that left me feeling quite sorry for this beautiful bird.

Soon I realized that I'm in California which is probably the animal protection/rights capital of the world. I called 411 and got the number for the Native Animals Protection Agency (I think that's what it's called). The dispatcher on the line said she would send someone out right away and 5 minute later Gretchen was there with her net, towel, and cardboard box. Brought together by a common cause we made eye contact, said a few words, and then did what needed to be done. Gretchen took the towel and tossed it on the bird as it snapped at her with its long pointed beak. It was as poetic as it was tragic. Gretchen began to cry as her sympathy for the bird overwhelmed her - she realized that she would most likely have to euthanize him because of the severity of the break.

We stood up and parted ways. Fighting back tears she thanked me for making the call. I thanked her for the important work she does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home